Welcome to referendum.govt.nz
This statement applies to personal information collected through this website (www.referendum.govt.nz). This statement is to let users of this website know when we collect personal information and what we do with it.
Note we do not collect personal information about you if you only browse this website.
Collecting personal information
We collect personal information that you choose to give us, for example, your email address if you choose to email us.
Note that any information you provide to us by email is viewable by site administrators, certain Ministry of Justice staff and contractors (including third party contractors providing services relating to the administration, improvement and/or securing of this site and the information it contains) and if published, members of the public. Please keep this in mind if you choose to provide us with information of a sensitive nature.
Sharing your information
We do not give information about you to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- one of the reasons we obtained the information was to give it to someone else
- you have given us the authority to do so
- it is required or authorised by the Privacy Act 1993, Official Information Act 1982 or by any other law. For example, to avoid prejudice to the maintenance of the law including prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution and punishment of offences; for law enforcement purposes; for the protection of public revenue; or for the conduct of court or tribunal proceedings
- it will prevent or lessen a serious threat to public health or safety or to somebody's life or health
- the information is to be used for statistical or research purposes and will not be published in a way that will identify you.
Access to personal information we hold about you
You can ask us to give you any information we hold about you and to make any correction to that information. Contact our Privacy Officer:
- Email email@example.com
- Phone 04 918 8800
- Post Privacy Officer, Ministry of Justice, SX10088, Wellington
Automatic collection of information
We (our contractors, providers and agencies) use analytical tools, such as Google Analytics, to create summary statistics that allow us to assess information, such as the number of visitors to different sections of the website; what information is of most and least interest; monitoring system performance; and helping us make our website useful to visitors. These analytical tools collect and store data when you visit the website, including:
- your service address (IP address)
- the date, time and duration of your visit to the site
- the pages you accessed and the documents you downloaded
- the type of browser you used
- the search terms you used
- your operating system (OS)
- other incidental matters, such as screen resolution and the language setting of your browser.
Should you choose to communicate with us, your emails to us may constitute public records and could be retained to the extent required by the Public Records Act 2005. We may also be required to disclose those materials under the Official Information Act 1982 or to a Parliamentary Select Committee in response to a Parliamentary Question.